Energy Star Tax Credit – 10%
In December, Congress extended the Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit through the end of 2016, which included tax credits for Energy Star® metal roofing. Energy Star Tax Credits reduce your tax liability dollar-for-dollar, rather than a mere deduction which only removes a percentage of the tax that is owed, so they are actually more advantageous for you.
An example: The 2016 credit allows for 10-percent of what you pay for your roofing materials, up to a $500 limit. (Note that it is also retroactive for 2015). So, if your metal roofing materials cost you $3,500, at the end of the year your tax liability would be reduced by $350. This is a direct savings on your roofing costs, bringing your actual investment down to $3,150.
Many of Lyon’s roofing materials are available in Energy Star® rated colors. These colors not only save you money on electric bills, they can also save you money when tax time comes.
How to take advantage of this tax credit:
- Your roofing materials need to be installed on the homeowner’s primary residence
- The job cannot be a new installation on a new home but must be a re-roof job
- There must be a 2 year warranty, at least, and must be expected to last 5 years
- You cannot include the installation costs to get this tax credit
- Manufacturer’s Certification Statement is required for the credit
- Save the statement above and all of your receipts for tax purposes
- IRS Form 5695 is to be used for this tax credit
- Consult your accountant, as this is not tax or legal advice
The requirements for Energy Star compliance are broken down into two categories: Low-Slope roofs and Steep-Slope roofs. Low-Slope roofs are surfaces with a slope of 2:12 or less. Steep-Slope roofs are defined as surfaces with a slope greater than 2:12. Following is information regarding the requirements of each type of Energy Star® roofs.
Benefits of an Energy Star® Metal Roof System
The benefits of ENERGY STAR qualified roof products include:
- Saves Money and Energy. According to the EPA, about $40 billion is spent annually in the US to air condition buildings — one-sixth of all electricity generated in a year! ENERGY STAR qualified roof products sold by Lyon Metal Roofing reduce the amount of air conditioning needed in buildings, and can reduce energy bills by up to 50 percent.
- Downsizes Cooling Equipment. A reflective roof can reduce peak cooling demand by 10-15%. As a result, the home or building owner may be able to purchase a smaller, more efficient, and less expensive cooling system.
- Decreases Pollution in Urban Areas. Reduced energy demand means less burning of fossil fuels, which results in less pollution from power plants. Also, Lyon Metal Roofing’s ENERGY STAR qualified roof products help to reduce the “heat island effect,” in which dark, heat-absorbing buildings and paved areas make the air in urban areas hotter, and smoggier.
- Increases Roof Product Life. ENERGY STAR qualified roof products maintain a more constant temperature and reduce thermal shock, which occurs when cool rain hits a hot roof, causing a sharp drop in temperature. During temperature changes, a roof expands and contracts, causing stress and a degrading of the roof.